As I was researching the uses of Melaleuca Essential Oil, commonly known as Tea Tree Oil, I started to become a little overwhelmed because there are SO many ways it can be used! I decided to make a numbered list to keep myself in check. So far in my research, which never really ends with these blog posts, I have found 48 different uses. Yes, 48. Can you believe that? I even found additional uses from different sources after my list concluded. It’s amazing how many things this oil can be used for!
Melaleuca is used for Immune support along with On Guard Essential Oil.
Top properties =
Melaleuca Essential Oil mixed with water in a spray bottle works as a disinfect for door knobs, counter tops, table tops, and home phones (if that still exists in your 2017 household).
Before we get started, the information I’m sharing below is for educational purposes only. If you have serious health concerns, please seek medical attention. With that said, trying the oils in addition can’t hurt. This blog is more ailment focused than my Top Uses 4 Wild Orange blog. Read with an open mind and you may find something that works well for you!
I’m not going to cover all 48 uses; however, let’s break down the majority…
- Acne – Apply 3-4 drops topically to affected areas as needed. When I see a pimple coming on I put Melaleuca on it multiple times a day. So far it has worked every time, keeping my skin clean and clear!
- Clogged Pores – Apply 1-2 drops topically to affected area as needed. After applying Geranium or Frankincense to my face in the morning, I will apply 1-2 drops of Melaleuca over areas where I normally get pimples as a form of acne prevention.
- Athlete’s Foot – Apply 1-2 drops topically between toes and around toenails. Do this a couple of times per day until symptoms fade.
- Fungal Skin Infection – Apply 3-4 drops to affected area multiple times per day, 2-3 times daily for nails.
- Jock Itch – Place 1-2 drops on affected area multiple times per day.
- MRSA – Diffuse regularly every day. Apply topically to bottoms of feet or take internally in a capsule. Mix with lavender and peppermint or a defensive blend such as On Guard and apply topically.
- Rashes – Apply 3-4 drops diluted with a carrier oil (coconut, etc.).
- Ringworm – Apply 1-2 drops to affected area 2-3 times a day.
- Staph Infection – Place 3-4 drops on bottoms of feet daily.
- Cuts – Dilute 1-2 drops with a carrier oil (coconut, apricot, etc.) and apply to affected area 1-2 times daily.
- Poison Ivy – Apply 3-4 drops to affected area 1-2 times a day or as needed.
Psoriasis – Apply 3-4 drops 1-2 times a day or take in a capsule.
- Sunburn – Apply 3-4 drops to affected area hourly or as needed.
- Warts – Apply 1 drop directly on wart multiple times a day until it’s gone.
- Wounds – Dilute and apply 1-2 drops to area multiple times a day.
- Cold – Diffuse and inhale or gargle 1-2 drops with water. Take internally in a capsule 2-3 times per day while symptoms last.
- Cough – Massage 3-4 drops onto chest and neck or gargle 1-2 drops with water. Diffuse & inhale multiple times per day.
- Sinus Headache – Diffuse. Inhale multiple times per day.
- Sore Throat – Gargle 3-4 drops with water and swallow. Diffuse and inhale or apply 3-4 drops to throat, chest, and back of neck multiple times a day.
- Tonsillitis – Gargle with water. Take in a capsule daily. Apply topically to throat, chest, and back of neck multiple times a day.
- Insect Allergies – Apply 1-2 drops to affected areas hourly or as needed.
- Canker Sores – Apply a drop directly to canker sore or gargle with water several times per day until canker sore is gone.
- Cavities – Apply 1-2 drops topically to bottoms of feet or take internally in a capsule daily.
- Cold Sores- Apply 1 drop topically to cold sore as soon as it starts and repeat several times per day until it’s gone.
- Gingivitis – Mix 3-4 drops with water and gargle several times per day.
- Gum Disease – Apply 1-2 drops on gums or on bottoms of feet daily. Use to eliminate bacteria and fungus.
- Toothache – Place 1 drop on gums or gargle with water and swallow daily or as needed.
- Candida – Apply 3-4 drops to chest and on bottom of feet or take internally in a capsule multiple times per day. Another option is to take Lifelong Vitality & GX Assist as directed. I’ve never personally tried Lifelong Vitality & GX Assist, but I have the Lifelong Vitality Vitamins that everyone swears by. They’re good for maintaining good overall health and wellness. I will have to give them a shot and report back!
- Conjunctivitis (Pinkeye) – Apply 1-2 drops around eyes or to bottoms of feet multiple times per day. Do NOT get in eyes.
- Earache or Ear Infection – Place 1-2 drops on a cotton ball and place over ear at night. Repeat as needed.
- Head Lice – Dilute several drops with a carrier oil ( coconut, etc.) and apply to your entire scalp. After 30 minutes, shampoo and rinse. Repeat regularly for multiple days.
- Ovarian Cyst – Apply 3-4 drops to a tampon and insert overnight, repeating this for several days or apply warm compress over stomach.
- Rhinitis – Diffuse. Inhale regularly every day. Apply 1-2 drops to forehead and bridge of nose. I never knew what Rhinitis was until this research. Check out the link if you don’t already know, it’s interesting.
- Shock – Diffuse. Inhale. Apply 3-4 drops on temples, under nose, and on back of neck.
- Chicken Pox – Dilute with a carrier oil (coconut, etc.) and lightly dab on infected spots 1-2 times daily.
- Hives – Apply 1-2 drops topically to affected area as needed.
- Lupus – Massage body 1-2 times weekly or take a few drops internally in a capsule.
- Measles – Dab on spots multiple times per day or add oil to bath and soak for 30 minutes every day.
- Mumps – Apply 1-2 drops topically behind ears multiple times a day or use in warm compress around throat and jaw. Take in a capsule several times a day.
- Shingles – Apply 3-4 drops to affected area, back of neck and along spine daily or as needed.
Other (more fun) options:
- Apply 1-2 drops to your shampoo to nourish your scalp.
- Apply 1-2 drops in your facial cleanser for a refreshing wash.
- Apply 1-2 drops to your skin after shaving to prevent razor burn.
*Note: I have tried little of these uses except for purifying my skin & my home. I cannot confirm that these methods work. If you apply oil to dry skin it may burn, so put on a carrier oil (such as coconut or apricot oil) first if you have dry skin. If you know that you have sensitive skin I would dilute Melaleuca with a carrier oil before applying. If you deem any methods listed above as unfit, simply avoid them.*
Stay tuned for next week’s blog post about the emotional benefits of Melaleuca Essential Oil! In the meantime, try using Melaleuca one of the many ways listed above!
**Disclaimer: I’m basing my articles off of dōTERRA essential oils, however you may be using a different brand if you already have them. Read the label of the oil brand you are using and make sure you follow its guidelines because not all oils are created equal. For example, if your bottle says “do not take internally” then do not take it internally, no matter what I’ve written here. If you would like to purchase dōTERRA’s Melaleuca, click here!
Essential Oils Simplified: Over 400+ Natural Remedies to Common Conditions. Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 2015. Print.
Modern Essentials: Essential Oils & Blends Quick Usage Chart. Aromatools.com. 2015.
The Essential Life: A Simple Guide to Living the Wellness Lifestyle. Place of Publication Not Identified: Total Wellness, 2015. Print.
Watkins, Tamalu. 216 Ways to Use Essential Oils. N.p.: Scentelligence, 2008. Print.
Your Guide to Natural SOlutions for 250+ Ailments: Essential Oils Usage Guide A-Z. Myoilbusiness.com. The Always Remember Companies, LLC. 2010.